View full website
Dr. Changhyun Kwon is an associate professor in Industrial and Management Systems Engineering at the University of South Florida. His research interests include transportation systems analysis and service operations problems, in particular drone-assisted delivery problems and shared mobility systems management problem. His research has been supported by various organizations, including the National Science Foundation, the U.S. Department of Transportation, and the Canadian Embassy. His expertise includes mathematical modeling of mobility and logistics service systems and developing computational methods including mathematical optimization algorithms, heuristics algorithms, and machine-learning-based algorithms. Applications include location problems, routing problems, and scheduling problems. He develops open-source software packages for transportation systems optimization using Python, Julia, and C++. He is the author of Julia Programming for Operations Research.
AAM Related Research Projects and Publications:
- Collaborative Research: Arc Routing Problems in Combined Drone/Truck Fleets
- Sponsored by the National Science Foundation
- This project advances planning methods for combined drone/truck fleets to serve critical societal needs, such as energy transmission infrastructure monitoring, urban police patrolling, rural and suburban mail delivery, roadway pavement inspection, and traffic monitoring. Despite the significant opportunities offered by drones for remote operations, their limited flying time and small battery capacity hamper large-scale operations. Coordination between drones and roadway-dependent motor vehicles, such as trucks, can help resolve these issues by providing batteries and payload required for continued drone services. This project will provide a novel approach to cover large service areas using combined drone/truck fleets. This award highlights the societal applications characterized by combined ‘arc’ routing, for which existing routing methods cannot provide adequate decision-making tools.
- Drone-Assisted Delivery
- Shared Mobility
- Bogyrbayeva A., S. Jang, A. Shah, Y. J. Jang, C. Kwon. (2022)A Reinforcement Learning Approach for Rebalancing Electric Vehicle Sharing Systems. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 23(7), 8704–8714.
- Bogyrbayeva A., M. Takalloo, H. Charkhgard, C. Kwon. (2021)An Iterative Combinatorial Auction Design for Fractional Ownership of Autonomous Vehicles. International Transactions in Operational Research, 28(4), 1681–1705.
- Takalloo, M., A. Bogyrbayeva, H. Charkhgard, C. Kwon (2021).Solving the Winner Determination Problem in Combinatorial Auctions for Fractional Ownership of Autonomous Vehicles. International Transactions in Operational Research, 28(4), 1658–1680.
- Melendez, K.A., T.K. Das, C. Kwon (2020).Optimal operation of a system of charging hubs and a fleet of shared autonomous electric vehicles. Applied Energy, 279, 115861.
- Zhang, A., J.E. Kang, C. Kwon (2020).Generalized Stable User Matching for Autonomous Vehicle Co-ownership Programs. Service Science, 12(2–3), 61–79.
- Haider, Z., A. Nikolaev, J. E. Kang, C. Kwon (2018).Inventory Rebalancing through Pricing in Public Bike Sharing Systems. European Journal of Operational Research, 270(1), 103–117.