Dr. Mouyid Islam is currently a research faculty member at the Center for Urban Transportation Research in The University of South Florida. Prior to joining CUTR he was a Highway Safety Engineer with CH2M for four years. Dr. Islam also wrote many articles focusing on highway safety and crash data analysis with an emphasis on crashes involving motorcycles, large trucks, and roadway departures. He has worked on safety evaluations applying the Highway Safety Manual and has trained design and safety engineers at different agencies in predictive safety assessment using the Enhanced Interchange Safety Analysis Tool (ISATe).
- Crash data analysis and modeling (Emphasis – Motorcycle, Roadway Departure Crashes, Large Trucks, Work Zones)
- Highway Safety Manual Implementation – Safety Evaluations
- Big data analysis
|Bangladesh Univ. of Engg. & Tech.||Bangladesh||Civil Engg.||B.Sc., 2003|
|Purdue University||West Lafayette, IN||Civil Engg.||M.Sc., 2010|
|Asian Institute of Technology||Thailand||Civil Engg.||M.Eng., 2005|
|The University of Texas (El Paso)||El Paso, TX||Civil Engg.||Ph.D., 2012|
|07/2017 – present||Research Faculty, CUTR, USF|
|03/2013 – 06/ 2017||Highway Safety Engineer, CH2M|
|08/2010 – 01/2013||Graduate Research Assistant at The University of Texas (El Paso)|
|08/2007 – 06/2010||Graduate Research Assistant at Purdue University|
|07/ 2005 – 06/2007||Research Associate, Thailand Accident Research Center|
|04/2003 – 07/2003||Accident Research Institute, Bangladesh Univ. of Engg. and Tech.|
- Islam M.B. (2017). An Exploratory Analysis on Fatalities of Roadway Departure Crashes, First International Roadside Safety Conference, pp. 393 – 420. San Francisco, California, June 12–15,
- Islam, M.B., Perez-Bravo, Dante, Silverman, K.K. (2016). Performance-based Assessment to Transportation Safety Planning for Metropolitan Travel Improvement Study, 96th Transportation Research Board, Washington D.C., USA.
- Islam, M.B. and Hernandez, S. (2015). Fatality Rates for Crashes Involving Heavy Vehicles on Highways: A Random Parameter Tobit Regression Approach.” Journal of Transportation Safety and Security, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 247-265.
- Islam, M.B. (2015). Multi-vehicle Crashes Involving Large Trucks: A Random Parameter Discrete Outcome Modeling Approach. Journal of The Transportation Research Forum, Vol. 54, No. 1, pp. 77-103.
- Islam, M.B. and Hernandez, S. (2014). An Analysis of Injury Outcomes of Crashes Involving Large Trucks by Time of Day in Urban Areas in Texas. 94th Transportation Research Board, Washington D.C., USA.
- Islam, M.B. and Hernandez, S. (2013). Modeling Injury Outcomes of Crashes involving Heavy Vehicles on Texas Highways. Transportation Research Board: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Washington D.C., TRR 2388, pp. 28-36.
- Islam, M.B. and Hernandez, S. (2013). Large Truck Involved Crashes: An Exploratory Injury Severity Analysis, Journal of Transportation Engineering. ASCE. Vol. 139, No. 6, pp. 596-604.
- Tarko, A. P., Thomaz, J. E. and Islam, M. B. (2013). Safety in High-Speed Urban Work Zones: A Super 70 Study. Road Safety and Simulation International Conference, RSS 2013, Rome, Italy, October 22-25.
- Islam, M.B. and Hernandez, S. (2013). Modeling Injury Outcomes of Crashes Involving Heavy Vehicles in Rural and Urban Settings in Texas. 93rd Transportation Research Board, Washington D.C., USA.
- Ahmed, A., Anastasopoulos, P.Ch., Ong, G.P., Labi, S., Islam, M.B. (2012). Factors Affecting Highway Safety, Health Care Services, and Motorization – An Exploratory Empirical Analysis using Aggregate Data. Journal of Transportation Safety and Security. Vol. 4, No. 2, pp. 94-115.
- Anastasopoulos, P.Ch., Islam, M.B., Perperidou, D., Karlaftis, M.G. (2012). Hazard-Based Analysis of Travel Distance in Urban Environments: Longitudinal Data Approach. Journal of Urban Planning and Development, Vol.138, No.1, pp. 53-61.
- Anastasopoulos, P.Ch., Islam, M.B., Volovski, M., Powell, J., and Labi, S. (2011). Comparative Evaluation of Public-Private Partnerships in Roadway Preservation. Transportation Research Board: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2237, pp. 9-19, Washington D.C., USA.
- Islam, M.B., and Kanitpong, K. (2008). Identification of Factors of Road Accidents through in-depth Accident Analysis. Journal of International Association of Traffic Safety and Sciences (IATSS), Vol.32, No.2, pp. 58- 67.
- Islam, M.B., Ponboon, S., Boontob, N., and Kanitpong, K. (2007). Is it a Timely Approach for Bus Accident Investigation in Thailand? Journal of Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies (EASTS), Vol.6, pp. 2639-2654.
- Trained safety and design engineers at Missouri Department of Transportation on the Enhanced Freeway and Interchange Safety Analysis tool (ISATe) as part of Highway Safety Manual application to highway design projects on input data, output results, and interpretation of the results. Answered the conceptual and tool related questions from the participants.
- Trained the office highway and traffic safety group on Highway Safety Manual application in Omaha, Nebraska, as one the largest case studies in the country Predictive Safety Assessment in Omaha at CH2M.
- Trained and presented on technical paper writing as part of Transportation Technology Transfer (T3) for Chicago Office at CH2M.