Dr. Cong Chen is a Research Associate with the ITS, Traffic Operation and Safety Program at the Center for Urban Transportation Research (CUTR) at the University of South Florida, and the Manager of the Florida Local Technical Assistance Program (LTAP). Dr. Chen received his Ph.D. degree from the University of New Mexico in 2015, and his research interests include traffic safety analysis, advanced model development, traffic congestion and operation efficiency, intelligent transportation systems, connected and autonomous vehicles, and transportation geospatial and temporal analysis. He has published 24 academic papers at top-tier peer-reviewed transportation journals, and has delivered more than 30 research presentations at national and international conferences.
Dr. Chen is the appointed Younger Member on ASCE Transportation & Development Institute (T&DI) Board of Governors FY20, and leads the T&DI Committee on Younger Members. He also serves as a member for TRB Standing Committee on Safety Data, Analysis and Evaluation (ANB20) and TRB Standing Committee on Highway Safety Performance (ANB25). He is an Editorial Board Member of the Annals of Civil and Environmental Engineering, and has been invited as a referee for more than 15 peer-reviewed transportation journals and international conferences.
Dr. Chen was selected as the 2019 Tampa Bay ITE Keith Crawford Young Transportation Professional of the Year. He was also awarded the New Mexico Governor’s Exempt Fellowship and served as an intern at New Mexico Department of Transportation (NMDOT) in 2014.
- Ph.D. University of New Mexico, USA, 2015
- M.S. Tongji University, China, 2011
- B.S. Tongji University, China, 2008
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
- January 2018 – Present Research Associate, Center for Urban Transportation Research, University of South Florida
- January 2017-January 2018 Postdoctoral Scholar, Center for Urban Transportation Research, University of South Florida
- September 2016-January 2017 Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- February 2016-July 2016 Postdoctoral Fellow, University of New Mexico
- May 2014-August 2014 Summer Intern, New Mexico Department of Transportation