Traffic Operations & Safety Research Associate Faculty
Ph. D., Civil Engineering (Transportation), University of Florida, 2014
M.S., Civil Engineering, University of South Florida, 2009
B.S., Civil Engineering, Auburn University, 2006
Commercial vehicle operations
Survey design and conduction
Economic impacts of freight transportation
Traffic engineering and operations
Advanced vehicle dynamics studies on commercial heavy vehicles
Commercial heavy vehicle impact studies on freeways and multilane highways
Vehicle emissions and fuel consumption rate estimation studies using On-Board-Diagnostics (OBD) data
Roadway level-of-service (LOS) studies
- Lin, P., Ozkul, S. & Chester, C. (2016). Evaluation on Perceived Effectiveness of Red RRFB Configurations to Reduce Wrong-Way Driving. American Society of Civil Engineers: Journal of Transportation Engineering (In Print).
- Wei, F., Wang, Z., Lin, P., Hsu, P., Ozkul, S., Jackman, J., & Bato, M. (2016) Safety Effects Of Street Illuminance at Urban Signalized Intersections in Florida. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board (In Print).
- Lin. S & Ozkul. S. (2016). Mitigating Wrong-Way-Driving Through Red RRFB Implementation. Roads and Bridges. January 2016, 46-49.
- Ozkul, S. & Washburn, S. S. (2015). Updated Commercial Truck Speed versus Distance-Grade Curves for the Highway Capacity Manual. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2483, 91-101.
- Ozkul, S., Washburn, S. S., & McLeod, D. S. (2013). Revised Version of the Automobile Level-of-Service Methodology for Urban Streets in the Highway Capacity Manual 2010. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2395(1), 66-72.
- Petritsch, T. A., Ozkul, S., McLeod, P., Landis, B., & McLeod, D. (2010). Quantifying Bicyclists’ Perceptions of Shared-Use Paths Adjacent to the Roadway. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2198(1), 124-132.
Dr. Seckin Ozkul is a Research Associate Faculty at the Center for Urban Transportation Research (CUTR) at the University of South Florida. He completed his B.S. in Civil Engineering at Auburn University, AL and worked as a consulting engineer in Tampa, FL for over 3 years. During his tenure as a consulting engineer, Dr. Ozkul started and completed his Master of Civil Engineering at the University of South Florida. He then attended the College of Engineering at the University of Florida and got his Ph.D. in Transportation Engineering. His research experience includes commercial vehicle operations, freight modeling, freight management, freight logistics, economic impacts of freight transportation, traffic engineering and operations and statistical analyses.
Dr. Ozkul is a founding member and the primary group contact of USF’s Freight Mobility, Trade and Logistics Research Group formed under the CUTR umbrella. He is also a member of TRB’s Freight Transportation Economics and Regulation (AT010) as well as Management and Productivity (ABC20) Committees. He is a fellow of the International Road Federation (IRF) and a member of the Institute of Transportation Engineers. Dr. Ozkul is a registered professional engineer (P.E.) in the state of Florida.
- FDOT D7 – Land Use Analysis to Enhance Successful Logistics Activity Center Development
- FHWA – Connected Vehicle Pilot – Tampa Hillsborough Expressway Authority (THEA)
- NCHRP 03-120 – Assessing Interactions Between Access Management Treatments and Multi-Modal Users
- FDOT D4 – Data for Truck-Route Choice Analysis of Port Everglades Petroleum Commodity Flows
- FDOT D7 – Wrong Way Driving Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacon (RRFB) Evaluation
- City of Tampa – Development of Effective Truck Route Signing Program for City of Tampa
- FDOT Central Office – Evaluation of Logistics Led Economic Development
- STRIDE UTC – On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) Data Integration into Traffic Microsimulation
- FDOT Central Office – Heavy Vehicle Effects on Florida Highways and Freeways
- FDOT Central Office – Arterial Level of Service Analysis for Florida
- NCHRP – Level of Service for Shared Use Paths Located Adjacent to a Roadway (Sidepath)
|Research Associate Faculty
Center for Urban Transportation Research
University of South Florida – Tampa, FL
|May 2014 – Present|
|Graduate Research Assistant
University of Florida– Gainesville, FL
|August 2010 – August 2014|
Sprinkle Consulting Inc. – Tampa, FL
|January 2007 – February 2010|
Auburn University – Auburn, AL
|August 2005 – September 2006|
|Assistant to the Project Manager
Vratsinas Construction Company (VCC) – Atlanta, GA
|May 2005 – August 2005|
Auburn University – Auburn, AL
|January 2005 – May 2005|