Cong Chen, Ph.D
Dr. Cong Chen is a research associate with the ITS, Traffic Operation and Safety Program at CUTR, and also the Manager of Florida Local Technical Assistance Program (LTAP). He received his Ph.D. degree in transportation engineering from the University of New Mexico in 2015, and his research focuses on traffic crash modeling and safety analysis, advanced traffic safety model development, pedestrian and bicyclist safety, traffic congestion and operation efficiency, intelligent transportation system, and transportation infrastructure monitoring and management.
Dr. Chen currently serves as a member for TRB Standing Committee on Safety Performance Analysis (ACS20), a Panel Member of NCHRP 17-71A Proposed AASHTO Highway Safety Manual, Second Edition. He is also an appointed member of FY20-22 Board of Governors of American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Transportation & Development Institute (T&DI). He has been invited as a referee for more than 15 peer-reviewed transportation journals and international conferences.
Dr. Chen was awarded the New Mexico Governor’s Exempt Fellowship and served as an intern at New Mexico Department of Transportation (NMDOT) in 2014, and was the recipient of 2019 Young Professional of the Year awarded by Tampa Bay Institute of Transportation Engineers (TBITE). He is a registered Professional Engineer (P.E.) in the State of Florida.
· Ph.D., University of New Mexico, USA, 2015
· M.S., Tongji University, China, 2011
· B.S., Tongji University, China, 2008
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
- August 2018 – Present, Manager, Florida Local Technical Assistance Program (LTAP)
- January 2018 – Present, Research Associate, Center for Urban Transportation Research, University of South Florida
- January 2017-January 2018 Postdoctoral Scholar, Center for Urban Transportation Research, University of South Florida
- September 2016-January 2017 Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- February 2016-July 2016 Postdoctoral Fellow, University of New Mexico
- May 2014-August 2014 Summer Intern, New Mexico Department of Transportation