Welcome from the CUTR Executive Director

Welcome to the Center for Urban Transportation Research at the University of South Florida! Having moved to Tampa and joined USF about 15 months ago, I have been overwhelmed with the hospitality and warmth of the transportation community here in Tampa and all across Florida. Special thanks to WTS and COMTO for hosting a wonderful welcome reception that made me feel so welcome and connected. I am also especially excited about our many transportation colleagues right here in our neighborhood—including FDOT District 7, the City of Tampa, Hillsborough County, THEA, and HART.

I’ve also been learning a lot about USF and benefiting from the wisdom of many great colleagues and I continue to be inspired by our wonderful students. I have enjoyed participating in many courses as a guest lecturer, serving on Master’s and Ph.D. committees, and working with our WTS and ITE student chapters. I’ve also gotten my hands dirty a few times trying to make improvements to our facility! I have also appreciated the opportunity to interact with faculty colleagues and students from other Florida universities. I’m excited to be teaching “Sustainable Transportation” in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering in spring semester 2018.

Here at CUTR we are so lucky to be positioned on a vibrant university campus surrounded by great minds, ideas, and an entrepreneurial spirit. Each day we aim to:

Proactively support implementation of innovative multimodal transportation solutions and develop leaders through research, education and action.

Our faculty, staff, students, and advisory board are all engaged in significant, transformative work that makes our transportation system, and thus our society, more safe, mobile, and sustainable. What more could we ask for? We are grateful to our many sponsors for granting us the opportunity to make a positive difference through our work every day.

We are thinking about our strategic plan for the future, in synergy with the strategic plan for USF College of Engineering. We begin on a foundation of collaboration—across USF, the city, region, state and the nation, covering all disciplines. Then, focusing on our people, products and partnerships we research, educate, lead and implement innovative multimodal transportation solutions.

We know this is an exciting and challenging time for transportation with safety, innovations in transportation automation and connectivity, data and cybersecurity, workforce development, equity and inclusion, smart cities, complete streets, and proactive traffic management at the forefront of our efforts. In 2018, we will be launching a new Automated Vehicle/Connected Vehicle Testbed and a new multimodal transportation data collaborative.

Lastly, I have been learning about the many USF/CUTR alumni who are in the transportation field and we hope to make stronger connections with you—please follow our social media links below and join our LinkedIn Group and our LinkedIn Page. I hope to hear from you—stay connected with us and find ways to get involved.

Warm regards,

Robert L. Bertini, Ph.D., P.E.
CUTR Executive Director
rbertini@usf.edu

linkedintwitterfacebookflickryoutubeemailrss