Mouyid Islam, Ph.D.
Phone: (813) 974-7146
Dr. Mouyid Islam is currently a research faculty member at the Center for Urban Transportation Research in The University of South Florida. Prior to joining CUTR he was a Highway Safety Engineer with CH2M (Now Jacobs) for four years. Dr. Islam also researched and wrote articles focusing on highway safety and crash data analysis with an emphasis on crashes involving work zone, large trucks, roadway departures and pedestrians and motorcycles. He has worked on safety evaluations applying the Highway Safety Manual and has trained design and safety engineers at different agencies in predictive safety assessment using the Enhanced Interchange Safety Analysis Tool (ISATe). Dr. Islam is interested in developing safety tools that helps make informed decisions for the highway agency and safety professionals.
Dr. Islam currently serves as a member for TRB Standing committee on Truck and Bus Safety Committee (ANB70) and Transportation Safety committee with ASCE Transportation and Development Institute (T&DI). He also serves as paper review chair for ANB70. He has been invited as a referee for multiple transportation journals and international conferences focusing on highway and traffic safety.
Dr. Islam was awarded Dwight David Eisenhower graduate fellowship and International Road Federation (IRF) fellowship in 2012. He was awarded outstanding student in the student chapter and best student paper by Texas Institute of Transportation Engineers (TexITE) (District 9) in 2012. He also worked in I-70 work zone safety project: Improving Safety in High-Speed Work Zones: A Super 70 Study (Indiana Department of Transportation), which was recognized by AASHTO as “Good Value Research” in Region 3.
- University of Texas, 2012
- Purdue University, 2010
- Asian Institute of Technology, 2005
- Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, 2003
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
- July 2017 – present, Research Faculty, Center for Urban Transportation Research, University of South Florida
- March 2013 – June 2017, Highway Safety Engineer, CH2M (now Jacobs), Chicago
- August 2010 – August 2011, Graduate Research Assistant, University of Texas, (project for Texas Transportation Institute)
- August 2007 – June 2010, Graduate Research Assistant, Purdue University (project for Indiana Department of Transportation)
- July 2005 – June 2007, Research Associate, Thailand Accident Research Center