Center for Urban Transportation Research
2017 CUTR STUDENT POSTER COMPETITION
- The student poster competition will be held from 5:15 PM – 6:45 PM EST on October 4, 2017 in the USF Marshall Student Center – Tampa Campus.
- The student poster competition and poster presentation offer valuable opportunities for students to present their research, work on their public speaking skills, obtain judges’ feedback for future improvements, and network with professionals in related fields.
- Posters will be evaluated by the judges using the criteria listed in this document. The winners of the student poster awards will be selected by the technical committee, which will convene after the poster session.
- There will be monetary awards for the first, second, and third place poster winners in the amounts of $500, $350, and $250 respectively.
- Posters must be prepared by the students themselves. Students are allowed to present research that they have performed together with their advisor/professor; however, students shall not consult with their advisors/professors in regards to the preparation of the poster.
- Each poster should be authored by one student. If students work in a group, each member must prepare their own individual poster, without communication with other group members.
- Students can submit multiple abstracts to increase chances of being selected. However, no more than one abstract will be chosen to present.
- The deadline to submit abstracts for consideration is September 20, 2017 by 5:00 PM EST. The maximum word count limit is 250 words. Please submit all abstracts to Dr. Seckin Ozkul at firstname.lastname@example.org. Notification for acceptance will be emailed out on September 21, 2017 by 5:00 PM EST.
- Awards for the winners of the poster competition will be presented at the 2017 CUTR Transportation Achievement Awards event on October 4, 2017 at the USF Marshall Student Center – Tampa Campus.
Poster Sizing Rules:
- The poster size is “ARCH D” (24-inch x 36-inch) and the poster template to be used will be available via the CUTR Website.
- All text must be no smaller than 18 point font.
- Poster boards and easels will be provided. Posters should be displayed outside of the MSC ballroom on the second floor.
- The College of Engineering offers free poster printing services available to faculty, staff, and students: http://tss.eng.usf.edu/posters/.
Poster Evaluation Criteria:
The poster competition judges will use the following criteria to evaluate each poster.
- Is the research statement clearly presented?
- Are the research objectives highlighted on the poster?
- Is the research problem logically solved using an appropriate methodology and is this methodology explained effectively?
- Is the poster clearly understood without any explanation?
- Is the poster well balanced in regards to all components being given the same level of attention?
- Are there an adequate number of sources and are all sources correctly cited?
- Are the conclusions listed and is the significance of the research findings highlighted?
- Is there a reference to a literature review performed prior to the study to support the research argument?
- Is the literature review portion accurately presented?
- Does the poster make effective use of figures, tables, and other illustrative material?
- Are all of the illustrations used by the author correctly cited?
- Does the illustrative material support the argument of the poster?
- Is all text legible and per the font sizing described under the “Poster Sizing Rules”?
- Does the poster outline match the template provided under the “Poster Sizing Rules”?
- Is the poster in a presentable condition (no rips or physical damage) and carefully produced (no smeared ink)?
- Is the material presented on the poster well organized and easy to follow?
If you have any questions regarding the 2017 CUTR Student Poster Competition, please contact the technical committee, Dr. Pei-Sung Lin (Chair) or Dr. Seckin Ozkul (Vice Chair).
Summary of Submission Deadlines
|Submission of Abstracts
|September 20th, by 5:00pm EST
|Acceptance Email Notification
|September 21s t, by 5:00pm EST
|Poster PDFs due
|October 2nd, by 12:00pm EST
|CUTR Poster Competition
|October 4th 5:15pm – 6:45pm EST