2016 CUTR Student Poster Competition
- The student poster competition will be held from 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. on November 4, 2016 in the lobby of the Center for Urban Transportation Research. The competition will be followed by another poster presentation at the CUTR Transportation Achievement Awards Event to on November 15, 2016 from 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. at the USF Embassy Suites Tampa, located at 3705 Spectrum Blvd.
- The student poster competition and poster presentation offer valuable opportunities for students to present their research, work on their public speaking skills, obtain judges’ feedback for future improvements, and network with professionals in related fields.
- Posters will be evaluated by the judges using the criteria listed in this document. The winners of the student poster awards will be selected by the technical committee, which will convene after the poster session.
- There will be monetary awards for the first, second, and third place poster winners in the amounts of $500, $350, and $250 respectively.
- Posters must be prepared by the students themselves. Students are allowed to present research that they have performed together with their advisor/professor; however, advisors/professors shall not consult with students in regards to the preparation of the poster.
- Students can submit multiple abstracts to increase chances of being selected. However, no more than one abstract will be chosen to present.
- Each poster can be authored by one student or a group of two students. The final poster score for the group of two students is equal to the raw score multiplied by 0.98. If the group wins an award, each student would be entitled to 50% of any prize they might win.
- Awards for the winners of the poster competition will be presented at the 2016 CUTR Transportation Achievement Awards event on November 15, 2016 at the USF Embassy Suites Tampa, located at 3705 Spectrum Blvd.
- The deadline to submit abstracts for consideration is October 21, 2016 by 5:00 p.m. EST. Please submit all abstracts to Dr. Seckin Ozkul. Notification for acceptance will be emailed out on October 25, 2016 by 5:00 p.m. EST.
Poster Sizing Rules:
- The poster size is “ARCH D” (24-inch x 36-inch) and the poster template to be used will be available via the CUTR Website.
- All text must be no smaller than 18 point font.
- Poster boards and easels will be provided. Posters should be displayed outside of the MSC ballroom on the second floor.
- The College of Engineering offers free poster printing services available to faculty, staff, and students: http://tss.eng.usf.edu/posters/
Poster Evaluation Criteria:
The poster competition judges will use the following criteria to evaluate each poster.
- Is the research statement clearly presented?
- Are the research objectives highlighted on the poster?
- Is the research problem logically solved using an appropriate methodology and is this methodology explained effectively?
- Is the poster clearly understood without any explanation?
- Is the poster well balanced in regards to all components being given the same level of attention?
- Are there an adequate number of sources and are all sources correctly cited?
- Are the conclusions listed and is the significance of the research findings highlighted?
- Is there a reference to a literature review performed prior to the study to support the research argument?
- Is the literature review portion accurately presented?
- Does the poster make effective use of figures, tables, and other illustrative material?
- Are all of the illustrations used by the author correctly cited?
- Does the illustrative material support the argument of the poster?
- Is all text legible and per the font sizing described under the “Poster Sizing Rules”?
- Does the poster outline match the template provided under the “Poster Sizing Rules”?
- Is the poster in a presentable condition (no rips or physical damage) and carefully produced (no smeared ink)?
- Is the material presented on the poster well organized and easy to follow?