2014 CUTR STUDENT POSTER COMPETITION
- The CUTR Transportation Achievement Award is presented annually to an individual who has made significant contributions to the transportation field. This year’s honoree is Mr. Jim Sebesta, the current Florida Transportation Commissioner, and former State Senator. Networking begins at 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. with the program resuming from 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- The student poster competition will be held from 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. on October 22, 2014 at the Embassy Suites Tampa – USF Campus.
- Posters will be evaluated by the judges using the criteria listed in this document. The winners of the student poster awards will be selected by the technical committee, which will convene after the poster session.
- There will be monetary awards for the first, second, and third place poster winners in the amounts of $300, $200, and $100 respectively.
- Posters must be prepared by the students themselves, posters that are prepared with help from a USF faculty member will be disqualified. Students are able to present research that he/she has performed together with their advisor; however, advisors shall not give feedback to the student in regards to the preparation of the poster.
- Students can submit multiple abstracts to increase chances of being selected. However, no more than one abstract will be chosen to present.
- Each poster can only be authored by one student.
- Awards for the winners of the poster competition will be presented at the 12th Annual CUTR Transportation Achievement Award event on October 22, 2014 at the Embassy Suites Tampa- USF Campus located at 3705 Spectrum Blvd.
- The deadline to submit abstracts for consideration is October 13, 2014 by 5:00 p.m. EST. Please submit all abstracts to Dr. Seckin Ozkul at firstname.lastname@example.org. Notification for acceptance will be emailed out on October 14, 2014 by 5:00 p.m. EST.
Poster Sizing Rules:
- The poster size is “ARCH D” (24-inch x 36-inch) and the poster template to be used has been supplied: https://www.cutr.usf.edu/2014/09/cutr-student-poster-competition-2014/
- All text must be no smaller than 18 point font.
- Poster boards will be provided by CUTR and easels will be provided by the Embassy Suites hotel. Posters should be displayed in the hotel lobby outside of the conference room.
- The College of Engineering offers free poster printing services available to faculty, staff, and students: http://tss.eng.usf.edu/posters/
Poster Evaluation Criteria:
The poster competition judges will use the following criteria to evaluate each poster.
- Is the research statement clearly presented?
- Are the research objectives highlighted on the poster?
- Is the research problem logically solved using an appropriate methodology and is this methodology explained effectively?
- Is the poster clearly understood without any explanation?
- Is the poster well balanced in regards to all components being given the same level of attention?
- Are there an adequate number of sources and are all sources correctly cited?
- Are the conclusions listed and is the significance of the research findings highlighted?
- Is there a reference to a literature review performed prior to the study to support the research argument?
- Is the literature review portion accurately presented?
- Does the poster make effective use of figures, tables, and other illustrative material?
- Are all of the illustrations used by the author correctly cited?
- Does the illustrative material support the argument of the poster?
- Is all text legible and per the font sizing described under the “Poster Sizing Rules”?
- Does the poster outline match the template provided under the “Poster Sizing Rules”?
- Is the poster in a presentable condition (no rips or physical damage) and carefully produced (no smeared ink)?
- Is the material presented on the poster well organized and easy to follow?